You are now at the end of the first quarter. Only a few days to go and you will have your 1st quarter Trading results with you. Last month has been interesting with a couple of new strategies launched in Smart Charts. Do remember to check them out. I have had a lot of requests to cover the topic of limiting beliefs in one of my blogs. Today I will do exactly that and identify some of the major limiting beliefs that people have around money and how to identify them and then work on transforming them to new empowering ones.
In simple words a limiting belief is something that limits us physically, spiritually, mentally to manifest our goals. Limiting belief creates a conflict between what you want and what you believe you can have or are worthy of having in your life. Time and time again people have learned in the hindsight that what they wanted &thought needed and what really was right for them at that point in time were in conflict with one another. We will now look at this in terms of money goals and limiting beliefs around wealth.
Step 1: Identify some limiting beliefs
Some limiting beliefs that prevail through generations:
- Money is for the rich
- Money doesn’t make people happy
- Money is a root of all evil
- Money changes people for the worse
- Money is hard to come by
- It is hard work to earn money
- I have to earn money
- Money makes money
- Rich people just got lucky
- Save for a rainy day
- Everyone cannot have everything
- I am not worthy of money
- I wasn’t born in money so it will be a struggle
- To get something we have to make sacrifices
- I am not capable of making money
- I don’t have what it takes to create wealth
- I am not resourceful
- I am not privileged like others
- I am too old
- I am too young
- I am not educated enough
- I am not good enough
- I am not intelligent
- I will never make money from trading
- Only a few clever people make money from trading ……
And the list goes on and on. I want you to take a moment and identify if you have any limiting beliefs around money. Write them down on paper.
Step 2: Identify if you have these beliefs
One simple technique that I have used with my clients and with myself is muscle testing.
- Stand up straight – body a bit lose. Close your eyes and experience your body movement. It may be a bit subtle. This is just fine. Eyes close say ‘My name is —— (insert your name). Notice the movement of the body, it could be backwards and forwards or just forward or on one side. Notice which is it. This is your body’s answer or a ‘Yes’ response. Now say ‘My name is —– (insert some other name like Einstein). Notice the movement. This is your body’s response for ‘No’.
Now check each statement for a Yes or No response.
Cross out whatever is a ‘No’, now you are left with the limiting beliefs that your body has identified as stressors that can get in the way of you attracting money from trading.
Now that you have identified what is getting in the way and limiting you let us use a simple technique to change the limiting belief into something that empowers us.
There are many techniques you can use which I will show you in one of my Trading sessions. Here is a simple one for now. Please do it as it is important that you work through the changes immediately and move forward.
Step 1: Identify an opposite of the limiting belief. E.g. Money come by hard for me. Opposite of this belief could be ‘Money come by easily and effortlessly to me’.
Step 2: Take this new belief and imagine how and where you feel it. (in most cases this will be untrue hence will be hard to feel because you don’t have that belief yet. If that is the case good you are getting closer to embody this new belief.
Step 3: Step into the old limiting belief that you have ticked above by closing your eyes and seeing/feeling/ hearing this belief loud and clear in your minds eyes. You may see some images appear in front of you. Keep your eyes closed.
Step 4: VISUALISE this belief travelling out of your body in the palm of your hands. Now take this and crush is. If you see it as a paper torn up the paper. Or simply imagine it becoming sand and slipping out of your hands into the earth. Or it changing into air and evaporating. Try different visualizations and see what works for you.
Step 5: Take 3 deep breath and make a long and strong HA sound when breathing out. Then let it go.
Step 6: Check with your body through muscle test if the limiting belief is still there or is it gone. If gone great. If still there than repeat the process using an alternate visualization. Once gone imagine the new empowering belief.
Step 7: Now bring this empowering belief in front of you and put it on the palm of your hands. Another highly effective way is to now imagine this new empowering belief to come via thin air (ie from nowhere) in the palm of your hands and you opening up and it materializing in front of you and you take it all inside of you. (Basically, you are reverse processing the limiting belief process to install empowering belief in yourself).
This is my technique that I have worked with using NLP (Neuro Lingusitic Programming). I have found it to be easy and effective. Play with it like you are a kid and you are about to receive a fantastic birthday gift you wanted all year long and had to wait for it. Embrace it, embody it.
One of my beliefs I love ‘If anyone has done it I can do it. If no one has done it then I am excited to be the first’.
To your prosperity,
Psychology of Trading Speicalist
PS: Here are some empowering money beliefs to embody
- Money is simply an energy that allows me freedom
- Money loves to be around me and multiply
- Money loves me and money is my obedient servant
- Money is good, I adore money
- Earning money is an easy thing to do
- Money is literally attracted to me
- Money is a free-flowing energy that keeps coming into my life
- I am a strong magnet to money
- There is no limit to the amount of money I am capable of earning